I’m a bit of a sucker for a sale, I begrudge paying full price for anything so this time of year has me quite excited. As the thought of hitting overcrowded shops with two little boys brings me out in a cold sweat I find myself doing most of my sales shopping online (mostly in bed with a cup of tea in hand).
I’ve learnt from past mistakes, so many past mistakes, not to go for high fashion items in the sales. They are usually out of fashion before I’ve taken the labels off them and even if they’re not I have eventually realised that I just can’t really do high fashion. Whereas some women can pull it off effortlessly I feel a bit of a plum.
When it comes to sales shopping I probably play it a bit safe. I go for the basics that I would buy full price if I had to but the fact they are in the sale is a bonus. I try to think what would go with the items already in my wardrobe and I focus on what would compliment them. I know I’ll regret buying something that matches absolutely nothing in my wardrobe as twelve months later it will still be there, and unworn.
I’ve played it safe with these buys but I know they will have plenty of wear over the next 12 months and beyond.
- Superdry £20 – I can’t resist a little black dress and this one is perfect for when I return to work, comfy, not too short to be inappropriate and will look great with tights and a pair of heels (plus what a bargain at 50% off)
- Oasis £35 – I have been after a new pair of ankle boots for months as my old ones are almost unwearable and these are lovely, even though they did rub badly on first wearing. Sadly they are sold out in the black now but the neutral colour is still available.
- Superdry £32.50 – I love knitwear but hate paying full price so January is the perfect time to shop for chunky knits. This arrived last week and it is gorgeous, looks great with the new boots and a pair of skinny jeans.
- Joules £29.95 – I told you I loved knitwear! This will be perfect for when we hit Disneyland Paris in February, I’m starting to panic about keeping warm out in the cold all day.
- Joules £44.95 – I didn’t think I was a blazer kind of person but I bought a navy one from Peacocks a couple of years ago and loved it and I know I will get so much wear from this over the years, whether it’s to work or more casually with jeans. I can’t wait for it to arrive.
There have been a few other buys, a couple of things that may well fall into the regret category but I’ll have to wait and see. I’ll be showing off these new buys over on my Instagram over the next couple of weeks.
What have you been buying in the sales? I hope you’ve managed to grab a bargain or two!