Today is my half birthday, which means I am now on my 6 month countdown to turning 40, and actually I feel okay about that. In fact, I’d almost say I’m looking forward to the next decade of my life and here’s a few reasons why:
- I am happy in my career – At the start of my 30’s I still felt that I had a career ladder to climb, whilst at the same time getting itchy feet for where I was currently working. Ten years on and I have changed jobs, and am happy with where I am at the moment and feel no pressure to go for the next promotion.
- We are through the baby stage – Actually this one is a little bittersweet as I loved the baby phase but as G approaches 3 it certainly feels life is a little bit easier. We need to take the buggy with us less and less and getting out with both boys is so much fun.
- We are in our forever home – Obviously I will often spend my free time browsing RightMove but we are no longer considering moving, we are happy where we are and love our home, especially since last years extension was completed.
- We are financially secure – During mine and my husbands 30’s there were lots of big life events that result in your finances taking a hit, we got married, moved house, had two babies (and two maternity leaves) and then re-mortgaged to extend our home. All of those things put a strain on money and can result in getting into debt, if you do find yourself in such a situation there are companies like Credit Fix that can help you deal you set up a debt relief solution.
- I care a lot less about what people think – In my teens I was terribly self-conscious and worried constantly about other peoples opinions of me. At almost 40 I’ve realised that it really isn’t something for me to concern myself over. Don’t get me wrong, of course I value the opinion of my family and close friends but that’s about it.
I remember thinking how old 40 seemed when I was younger but now that I am almost there, it isn’t old at all is it? As I leave my 30’s I am so much more content and happy with my life than I have been in a very long time and it feels fantastic.
Bring on being 40, I can’t wait to see what the next decade brings!
Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.