Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.
Cellulite is lumpy and dimpled flesh, generally found in the lower body parts- thighs, buttocks, hips, and lower abdomen. It is formed when fatty tissue of the skin pushes up the connective tissues. Although it is a harmless skin condition, it can make your skin look unpleasant.
Approximately 85% of the women aged 21 years and older have cellulite. But it is not as common in men.
What Factors Increase The Chance Of Cellulite?
Cellulite develops due to the presence of fatty tissues. Apart from this, the following factors increase its presence:
- Family history
- Tissue inflammation
- Loss of collagen
- Weight gain
- Poor circulation
- Thinning epidermis
- Poor lymphatic drainage
Nonetheless, it does not affect your overall health. Yet, you can try the following measures to reduce the appearance of dimpled skin.
Measures To Reduce The Cellulite Appearance
- Massage: Massage helps in reducing the appearance by improving lymphatic drainage. It also helps stretch your skin tissues and helps in melting the tissue fat. You can give yourself a massage using oils and creams. Or, you can book an appointment with a professional massage therapist. Even so, keep in mind that this method requires consistent efforts. If you are looking for instant results, this might not be a measure for you.
- Body Contouring: If you want faster results, you can consider going for body contouring. It is a non-invasive method aimed to reshape an area of your body. It generally involves getting rid of extra skin (especially after excessive weight loss), eliminating fat, and contouring the area. The spokesperson offering body contouring at B + A Medical Aesthetics clinic opines that this treatment effectively reduces fat from any part of your body. It is also not painful, requires no anesthesia, cuts, or stitches, yet offers visible results in four to six weeks.
- Weight Loss: If the cause behind your dimpled skin is weight gain or obesity, you need to reduce excess body fat. In order to lose weight, you should follow a well-balanced and nutritious diet along with regular exercise. Exercises to reduce thigh fat includes:
- Jump Squats
- Side lunges
- Glute/leg kickbacks
- Aerobic exercises such as cycling, dancing, hiking, walking, etc.
You can also include handheld weights and barbells for effective results during exercise.
- Medications: There are no specific medications that can help reduce the fatty tissues in the thighs. However, research is still going on. In 2020, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved injectable treatment to reduce cellulite on the buttocks. Studies and surveys have shown that it is effective and safe. Thus, in the near future, you might as well get medication for slim thighs.
- Change In Lifestyle: You can not prevent cellulite formation. However, with a healthy lifestyle- regular exercise, and a balanced diet, you can reduce its appearance to a great extent. Nevertheless, it is essential to consult a doctor before making any significant changes in your lifestyle.
Cellulite on thighs is natural and is not a matter of grave concern. Even so, you can try out the measures mentioned above and consult an aesthetician to get slim and beautiful thighs and legs for attaining better confidence.