In just under three months time we will be heading off on our family summer holiday. With the house renovations taking place last year we didn’t manage to get away (apart from a couple of child free nights in Barcelona) and that makes me even more excited for some family time in the sun.
I recently wrote about what I would pack for a girls only holiday but when travelling with my two little boys the essentials list is a little different. Whilst I still want to look stylish on the beach or round the pool there also needs to be an element of practicality to what’s in my suitcase.
My family holiday must-haves include:
- Shorts, or playsuits – the last thing I want to be worrying about when playing with the boys is flashing my underwear at strangers and I find shorts are so much more practical than a dress or skirt. I had a fear of shorts for a few years but I love them now.
- A big bag – a huge mum bag is a must. With the boys (and my husband) passing everything my way to carry, the bigger the bag the better. One that can fit in towels, sun creams, hats, sunglasses, snacks, water bottles and anything else that they decide they can’t leave behind in the room that day.
- Sensible footwear – I love a pair of heels, and I love flip flops but if I’m going to be climbing up slides or getting roped into a game of football I don’t want to have to worry about losing my shoe so I always make sure I have a pair of flat sandals with a strap to keep them safely on.
- A spare pair of sunglasses – I really hate having the sun in my eyes so obviously a pair of sunglasses is a must on most holidays, but I pack a spare pair too. My youngest has a habit of playing with mine, or grabbing them off my face, and more than one pair has met an unfortunate end. At least if I have a spare pair I can relax if the worst happens.
- A Sarong – possible one of the most useful garments you can take on a family holiday. Not only is it great as a quick cover up but it has so many uses. A shade cover for the kids, or a make-shift towel in an emergency, or even a thin blanket, so so useful!
I love planning my holiday wardrobe, I’m already putting my day time and evening outfits together in my head for when we visit Croatia. My daytime style is relaxed but I do love to dress up in the evening. Luckily Fashion World stocks a great range of outfits that will take me from day to night without any worries, whilst keeping the mum in me happy too.
Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.