Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.
“Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith, and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is, without a doubt, the best deal man has ever made. ”
- Roger A. Caras
Whenever we say, ‘it’s time to walk the dog,’ most of us assume that it is the dog’s poop time. However, it is a fact, but at the same time, walking has some other meanings as well. Walking is an essential part of grooming a dog and encouraging your four-legged friend towards a healthy lifestyle.
Walking the dog is an easy and fun activity that positively impacts the dog’s health and the master’s mental health. Many veterinarians often associate it with an easy way to help the dog maintain a healthy body condition and weight when ensuring the best joint health. Plus, walking a dog is beneficial to promote the urinary and digestive health of the dog.
According to a report, more than 50% of the dogs in the United States are overweight, whereas up to 30% suffer from severe obesity issues. This reveals the rising demand of walking a dog regularly and encouraging them for more physical activities. And if you witness some unexpected and consistent gain in your dog’s weight, prefer to take the dog for walking twice a day. Establish this routine, and you can get to see a notable change in 4 to 6 weeks.
Now the question is if you are following the proper process to take your pet out for a walk or not? For this, you must unravel the insights of walking a dog. Besides understanding the importance of walking a dog daily, it is essential to check on the things you need when outside with your pooch.
Just like the human baby, dogs require a few essentials to maintain complete sanitary and hygiene when outside the home. For this, it is the wholesale responsibility of the pet owner to keep all requirements in the bag and take care of your four-legged friend at its best. Many dog walkers or owners carry a waist pack or backpack, keeping all the essentials in one place. Most of you must consider it as an unnecessary practice, but when you wake up to the realities of taking care of your canine companion, you can witness the importance of such practices.
A few essentials to keep in your bag and ensure the complete safety of your furry companion. The below-mentioned dog walking essentials can be altered or amended based on the unique requirements of the pet owner and pet. However, the list is sufficient enough to give you a crystal clear idea of taking care of your pet outside the home.
- Carry a leash – Although you must be holding a leash in your hand, make sure to keep a spare one in your bag as you may need it in emergencies. Consider counting it as an essential thing to carry, especially when you have a notorious furry buddy walking around. Sometimes, dogs tend to run away along with their leash or lose their leash intentionally. In such circumstances, the spare leash can save you from a lot of losing your canine.
- Dog treats – Dogs often feel tired and experience fatigue when constantly playing for longer hours. And that’s when they demand and require energy-building foods on the spot. For this reason, make sure you carry enough dog food or treats broken into pieces. It is important to segregate the meal in small portions as dogs can overeat after fatigue, making it difficult for them to walk later.
- Waste bags – You can decide when your dog will pee or poop right in the middle of the garden or road. And as a wise citizen, you can’t let your pooch’s waste lay down on the ground. Therefore, make sure to carry a dog waste bag or pouch to pick and throw the waste in the dustbin. This is an essential step towards everyone’s hygiene, especially in the current pandemic circumstances.
- Wet tissues – You can’t neglect your health and hygiene while taking care of your pooch. Thus, ensure to keep enough wet wipes or sanitizer with you. It is essential to sanitize or clean your hands after feeding or cleaning your four-legged friend.
- Disposable or collapsible water or food bowl – The dog item supplies market is loaded with an end number of dog care products. And one of them is collapsible water or food bowls. These bowls are meant for busy and dog owners like you. Such bowls can be folded and unfolded to serve meals to your pet anywhere. Their unique design and flexible body make them a portable utensil for your pooch.
- Cell phone with emergency contacts – Dogs, when feeling irritated or sick, often resist coping with you. And as a responsible dog owner, you need to learn to handle all their mood swings. As a safety measure, carry a cell phone encompassing all the emergency contact details along with the vegetarian’s contact details. This can help you make instant and wise decisions in case of emergency.
- Your pet’s photo – There are times when pets get stubborn and run away with their leash. In such cases, you may end up losing them forever. Therefore, make sure to carry your dog’s latest photo for easy search.
- Flashlight or reflectors – If you plan to take your puppy outside in the dark, you can tie a flashlight around your canine’s neck to easily find them even from a distance. There are several types of fancy flashlights available in the market to choose from.
The final thoughts –
Taking your dog out for an evening stroll is an overwhelming experience, especially when you are new to this journey. You may consider it fun and easy activity, you being a new dog owner, must keep a few aspects in mind.