We’re now 5 weeks in and half term is looming so how am I getting on with my New Years resolutions. Pretty well, I think!
1. I have only bought school lunches twice and both occasions was a small tuna half baguette. I’ve discovered this year that I don’t really have time for lunch (for reasons we will come to later) so I usually throw a yoghurt and apple in my bag to see me through til home time.
2&3. Only one wardrobe meltdown, because almost nothing was clean, and only worn comfy black trousers once. In my defense they were new and I was full of a cold so chose comfort over power dressing.
4. I am very proud to say that as I write my marking is all completely up to date and all has been marked and returned to pupils next lesson,
5. Resolution 5 was keeping on top of my paperwork and I’m getting there, not perfect but an improvement on last year.
6. This is the reason I don’t have time for lunch, I spend my lunches keeping naughty homework avoiders behind to catch up. I’ve also made a conscious effort to make more contact with parents, so I’m going to have two very pissed off teenage boys next week who won’t have appreciated me calling their mums on Friday afternoon. Put me in a good mood for the weekend though!
7. So far, so good. I have resisted the chocolate cake that our tea lady brings to the staff room every break time, not sure how?
8. This is a work in progress. I’ve definitely made an improvement and sometimes I forget myself and get distracted by the louder kids and then make a pointed effort of going round to the quieter ones to check they’re okay.
Going down to 4 days has made a massive difference to almost all aspects of our life. I’m not as tired and grumpy and I’m starting to enjoy my job again instead of constantly playing catch up. I’m happier at home, and have found the time to start baking again. I’ve more patience with the kids, and being a mum has completely changed my attitude when teaching, I always ask myself what if this was Baby O, how would I want him to be treated.
A great start to the year, I’m just hoping it continues….