I sometimes have moments when I sit at work and honestly think “what the hell am I doing here?” Kids are crackers! Unpredictable, thoughtless and way too honest for my liking. One of these moments came last week one of my Year 7 kids pulled a potato out of his pocket with a face he’d drawn on and declared it’s name was Rodney!
These moments occur every now and then, and can leave me completely speechless. Sometimes there really are no words. Let me share a few of those “precious” moments.
- A year 10 boy shouting out in class “god miss, you’ve got big, are you pregnant?” Luckily I was, but his face was a picture as it suddenly dawned on him that he may have just put his foot in it!
- One lovely member of my form shouting out “miss, have you got a spot?” Yes I did have a spot, and it didn’t need to be highlighted to the entire group!
- “There’s a funny smell in here miss! Really cheap, sickly smell. It’s awful” My new coconut moisturiser was not a hit!
- Being brought back down to earth after what I thought was a great new hair cut to be asked, “Miss, why did you have your hair cut?” accompanied by a disapproving look.
- Getting hit in the face with a grape! After turning around at the worst possible moment!
- And only yesterday I watched one of my class sitting in his chair, arms wide out with a strange look on his face. Me: is everything okay? Pupil: Yes miss, I’m just skydiving…in my head! Obviously, why didn’t I think of that?
- I almost forgot about the boy who didn’t believe in rats. He insisted they were fictional creatures made up by parents to scare their kids. Even a biology teacher couldn’t convince him otherwise!
What did I tell you, kids are crackers!